/dev/mt* not showing up, and fcp.changer warning

turdb0

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi, I am an AIX/TSM newbie. I've been a Windows admin for over 15 years. Now I've inhirited a couple AIX servers. My main responsibilites are to make sure the TSM backups work properly.

AIX is 6.1, TSM is 6.1

My question is about AIX:

Previously, I saw /dev/mt* devices using lsdev. Now I only see the /rmt* devices. I had to do a rmdev -dl fsc0 and fsc1 to remove all the devices because I was having configurations after trying to add a Data Domain VTL to the system. The VTL drives now show up:

rmt0 Available 05-00-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt1 Available 05-01-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt2 Available 05-01-02 LTO Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt3 Available 05-01-02 LTO Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt4 Available 05-01-02 LTO Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt5 Available 05-01-02 LTO Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
smc0 Available 05-01-02 IBM 3576 Library Medium Changer (FCP)

However, I don't see the /mt* devices. Are those supposed to be there? If so, how do I get those back? Also, I can't seem to get the "changer" for the VTL to show up. For the Data Domain, it emulates an L180. And I would get this error message after running cfgmgr:

cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are required for
device support but are not currently installed.
devices.fcp.changer

thanks.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the rmt0,rmt1, and smc0 are PHYSICAL devices. 1 TS3310 library with 2 3580 drives.

Last edited:
So your VTL must be emulating non-IBM drives, would be easier if it did.

You'll have to go in to smit and create the MT drivers (those are Tivoli device drivers) (the rmt's for IBM LTO's are the atape driver)

You'll have to go in to smit - devices - ADSM devices and add/discover them through that menu section, that'll bring back the MT devices.

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by "would be easier" if it's non-IBM drives? So should I not have used the L180 emulation?
I will give smitty a try to reconfigure the drives in a sec...

Thanks.

If you had used an IBM emulated library and IBM emulated drives you would just use the /dev/rmt entries that atape creates. Using the non-IBM branded emulation on your VTL just adds a step for you to have to create the separate Tivoli MT devices now. There's no right or wrong just preference, just adds some work to your steps.

Back