Deleting volumes on old storage pool

sittnick

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
TSM servers are RHEL 6.8 running TSM 7.1.1.110. No tape. All backups run as incremental. Reclamation set for 18 days.

In October, we added a Data Domain 7200 at both local and remote sites to replace a DD890 at both sites.

All data was redirected to the new local DD7200, and replicated to DR DD7200.

Here we are several months later, and there are still plenty of volumes (7.65 TB) sitting on the local DD890. I have been running migration, space reclamation and manually issued mov data commands to get these volumes off so we can wipe the old DD890 and repurpose it. But it is very slow going,

Is there a faster way? Am I right in assuming that if we are using always incrementals that those volumes are still needed? If not, can I simply run del vol discarddata=yes to get rid of the last of the material on the old DD890? If not is there a way to speed up this process?

Thank you.

Am I right in assuming that if we are using always incrementals that those volumes are still needed?
Active objects never expire. So if you backed up a file 3 years ago, and that file still exist on that client and has not changed in 3 years, it's still active on the TSM Server because you will need that file if you want to restore that client. That's why that even if your retention is 18 days, you have older objects because they are still active.

Migration or move data is the only way to do it. I prefer migration because it requires less steps. You can schedule it to run daily for a few hours until everything is moved.

Is there a faster way?
No, you have so many bytes to move and you have to move them. Only thing that would be quicker as in less time spent doing it, is to schedule the migration daily for a few hours at a time you feel it won't interfere with other activities. You can update the stgpool and increase the migprocess to run more concurrent migration processes.

Thank you for your clear answer marclant. MIGPROCESS was set to 1, so I increased it to three on the server in question. That should help. Thanks!

Back