Delete volume versus file space?

ldmwndletsm

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
I have two tapes in a primary storage pool A, and one in a copy pool A. All file spaces are for the same node, and there any only a few file spaces In this particular case, if I was to delete each of the file spaces then is there any difference between that and deleting all three volumes with the discard option?

If you're deleting a file space for a given node then that would affect all volumes (tapes) containing parts of that file space for that node, right? Whereas deleting a volume would affect all file spaces for all nodes on that tape. Regardless, I would think that if you're deleting a volume but discarding the data (not moving it) then TSM takes care of everything so you don't have dangling pieces/parts to any of those file spaces still listed in its database for other volumes, correct? And likewise, if you delete a file space then TSM will remove any information it has on those file spaces for any volumes they're contained on?

I don't want to copy the data anywhere. I just want to erase all of TSM's information on those file spaces and return the tapes to the scratch pool to be overwritten. Will this work the same for copy pool tapes?

Hi,
Best practice is to delete the filespaces. That task will delete data from primry and copy pool.

I only delete data on volumes (del vol name discard=yes) as the last option.

Thanks, Trident.:)

What would be a case where you would delete a volume with discard = yes? In your experience, what (or why) would make this a last option?

Hi,

I would only use that if that particular volume is physically destroyed or file volume has been deleted.

After data has been recovered from copy pools/replication, and there is no more data to recover:
A very bad tape that should not be used any more.
Corrupt file volume that remains after.

For volumes related to copy pools. This is less harmfull, as data will be ingested from primary pools at next run.

Back