debating active data stgpool

TeamTLR

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I need opinions on what next step would be most ideal. I did not find much out there on active-data stgpools. Goal is to keep 1-2 days of active data available for restore on local SAN. I ran into a problem where TSM deleted a file during a DB2 data restore because migration was running. ANR0566W. I am running 811.

Current env.

current DB2 storage flow
v7SAN FILE dev class on tsm server (primary stgp)
v7SAN luns are replicated using the V7 to another v7
migrates db2 data to a cyber vtl (next stg) which copies to lto5.

my new flow
v7SAN FILE dev class on tsm server the primary will be a new activedata stgpool
the activedata pool's copypool will be to the cyber vtl which replicates itself and copies to lto5
existing data will be left in place or migrated to the new actstgp

OR

my other new flow
v7SAN FILE dev class on tsm server the primary stgpool stays the same, I update it to use Active Data Pool(s) while it has a copypool of lto5
the activedata pool's copypool will be to the cyber vtl which replicates itself and copies to lto5

OR

my other newer flow (no active data pool)

v7SAN FILE dev class on tsm server the primary stgpool stays the same, I update it to use a copypool (cyber vtl )
copy stgpool next stgpool will be to lto5

Since the vtl does the replication would I still need to run a backup stgpool? For the VTLs I would think not. What about the v7 stgpool, backup stgpool?
DBA does perform day-to-day restores, but not that often. DBA manages data retention via the API.
SAN space is not a real concern, but restore performance is.

thank you!

I saw this on tsm tutorials site: "Alternatively, you can use the simultaneous-write function to automatically write active backup data to active-data pools at the same time the backup data is written to a primary storage pool." My question is why bother using an activedata pool if you have a primary stgp+using simultaneous-writes? Whats the advantage? just use a copy stgpool.

Back