DBBackups are not expiring properly using DRM.

sfcc

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am using DRM to rotate DBBackups and a COPYPOOL to and from the vault. This works fine if the tapes are checked in and out every day. However, If we go several days without checking out tapes, DRM continues to create DBBackps and not expire them. If we went long enough without checking out tapes it would eventually use every tape in my library. I am using the SET DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS to remove all DBBackups older than 2 days.(I am using this instead of DELETE VOLHIST because DRM is being used) However, the SET DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS ONLY works when the DBBackup moves to VAULT state. Thus if checkouts arent done, dbbackups dont move to vault state and they dont expire.

I need these DBBackups to expire after two days no matter where they are in the DRM process. And keep in mind that I can't use DELETE VOLHIST as this will aid in losing tapes in my vault.. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.....

We have exactly the same situation as we do our DBBbackups directly to a library on a remote site, so the DBBackup vols are never vaulted.

I simply do a DEL VOLHIST TYPE=DBB TODATE=TODAY-"whatever you want".

Works fine - even with DRM

Unfortunately I dont have that option.

If I use the DEL VOLHIST command to wipe out old DBBackups it will also wipe out the fact that I may have other DBBackups sitting in the vault in VAULTRETRIEVE state. This basically causes you to "lose" the tape in the sense that DRM has no clue where it's at....IBM warns about using DEL VOLHIST when using DRM. I found this out the hard way when I started losing tapes :)

Thanks for the response thou..

Any other ideas would be VERY much appreciated.....

Setup DRM to keep the DBBackups for a number of days (i.e. 30) Then setup a del volhist command to delete all DBB volumes older then 40 days.

I had the problem of dbbackup volumes going missing until I noticed that my del volhist and DRM dbbackupdays were set to the same valume (35)

-Aaron

Heres what we ended up doing. Hopefully it will work...

The following batchfile runs as a Windows scheduled task. The purpose of the script is to determine what DBBAckups are just sitting around in the library in mountable state and are old. It then passes them thru the DRM proccess inorder to beable to scratch them and relabel them...(csplit is a linux utility for windows as well as sleep.)

I dont know if i should consider the following script to be a GREAT idea or just "rigging" it.

rem CREATES THE FILE CONTAINING THE DBBACKUPS TO BE SCRATCHED.

f:

cd f:TivoliTSMbaclient

dsmadmc -id=username -password=pass "select volume_name from drmedia where state like 'MOUNTABLE' and voltype like 'DBBackup' and date(upd_date) = (CURRENT_DATE - 1 DAYS)" > f:Batchdbdelete.txt

cdbatch

csplit f:batchdbdelete.txt 13

del f:batchdbdelete.txt

del f:batchxx00

csplit f:batchxx01 /ANS8002I/

del f:batchxx01

f:

cd f:TivoliTSMbaclient

for /f %%A in (f:batchxx00) DO dsmadmc -id=username -password=pass "move drmedia %%A WHERESTATE=MOUNTABLE REMove=No TOSTATE=VAULT"

f:batchsleep 120

for /f %%A in (f:batchxx00) DO dsmadmc -id=username -password=pass "move drmedia %%A WHERESTATE=vaultretrieve"

f:batchsleep 5

for /f %%A in (f:batchxx00) DO dsmadmc -id=username -password=pass "move drmedia %%A WHERESTATE=courierretrieve"

f:batchsleep 5

dsmadmc -id=username -password=pass "label libvolume 3583_lib search=yes labelsource=barcode checkin=scratch overwrite=yes"

del f:batchxx00

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>I am using DRM to rotate DBBackups and a COPYPOOL to and from the vault. This works fine if the tapes are checked in and out every day. However, If we go several days without checking out tapes, DRM continues to create DBBackps and not expire them.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

This also seems to be a problem for us, mostly because I think we're not understanding the DRM process.

We rotate tapes offsite every Monday, bringing them back onsite every Monday. So the tapes I send out today will come back the 9th. TSM handed me 8 tapes used for db backups. We're doing full backups every day, and I remember reading that a tape can only hold a single db backup. Fine.

If I set my DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS to 2, what happens to those db backups when they head offsite? Four days from now, if I have a disaster, will TSM look at those backups and not see/use them?

Maybe what I'm asking is this:

We go a week between rotating tapes offsite. Anyone have some tips on what values for what to use in order to make sure we're protected, but also not using too many tapes?

Back