DB merge

F_K_A

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi, I have a TSM 4.2 system. My policy stated that archived data should be kept for 365 days which is default. So as 365 days' time has elapsed the system started to delete the expired data. But now we realized that we need them. I have earlier Full DB backups and the data is kept in WORM media. So the data has been deleted actually and I can restore the database to earlier days in which data was still alive. But our application does not allow bringing data back and restore again.

So we need to restore the DB and export the records for the deleted data and import to our current database.

Is it possible ? Does anyone know ? Is there a way to merge TSM databases or export/import ?

Thanks

There is no way to "MERGE" the TSM DB. The only option you have is to restore to a previous TSM DB that still has the data active then export the nodes and their data then import it to the new DB. This will in affect replace all the WORMs with new ones since the export is created on new media and the volumes cannot be "moved" between instances. Good luck on this since I would not like to be the one to handle it. I prefer to set my retentions above the called for retention because I have had the same problem with customers before. Better to keep the data a little longer than and be the hero for having it beyond the retention time than to have to deal with a customer who feels TSM has failed him even though it was following the agreed upon retention time.

Chad Small

IBM Global Services

[email protected] :)

Back