DB Backup fails after TSM Server Upgrade

Uhmm ..

I wanna see the gskit versions you have .. so do the following

- Go to the directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\Tivoli\TSM\api64\gsk8\lib64, right click on the file gsk8sys_64.dll and choose properties > Details and review the version of gskit
- Go to the directory C:\Program Files\IBM\gsk8\lib64, right click on the file gsk8sys_64.dll, choose properties > Details and review the version of gskit

gsk8sys.dll in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Tivoli\TSM\api64\gsk8\lib64:
v8.0.50.86

gsk8sys.dll in C:\Program Files\IBM\gsk8\lib64
v8.0.50.78

So here we have a difference in these kits: v8.0.50.86 - v8.0.50.78

Just checked on Server B, there both gsk8sys.dll have the version v8.0.50.78

Well, it still looks completely as problem with GSKIT.
You are sure that your BA client is patched, right?
You should try to reboot the server.

baclient is patched to 8.1.4.1 but I'll retry to install 8.1.4.0 and update it to 8.1.4.1

Another hint: I just defined a library to backup the database on tape.

Othen then when using deviceclass=FILE, the backup did not terminate instantly. Instead it waited for the librarymanager to mount him a scratch-tape until backup failed:

07/12/2018 15:49:34 ANR1404W Scratch volume mount request denied - mount failed. (SESSION: 47, PROCESS: 7)
07/12/2018 15:49:35 ANR4578E Database backup/restore terminated - required volume was not mounted. (SESSION: 47, PROCESS: 7)

But this might also be an issue with the Library because I just defined it quick and dirty.

Anyways, I'll try different clean baclient installations.

Big thanks to you, Mita, for your instant replies. I'll let you know as soon as I come closer to a solution.

Okay, there is something that I have tried with my clients that actually worked ..

1. Copy the content of C:\Program Files\IBM\gsk8\lib64 to another location.
2. Copy and replace the directory C:\Program Files\IBM\gsk8\lib64 with the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Tivoli\TSM\api64\gsk8\lib64
3. Restart the TSM server.
4. Rerun the backup again ..

N.B: you might receive ANR3285W GSKit version 8.0.50.78 is below the minimum supported version of 8.0.50.86. But this can be ignored.

Those db2diag.log errors all point to the API needing to be upgraded. You may need to reinstall the 8.1.4.1 client patch or try performing the DB2 backup seperately and see if DB2 is capable of running the backup. If so then it's definitely a Spectrum Protect issue and not DB2 related. Just for argument sake, did you add the servers client key to the client key DB? Did you rerun the $$_TSMDBMGR_$$ password config?

When you run

db2 get database configuration for tsmdb1 show detail

What do you see here?

TSM management class (TSM_MGMTCLASS) =
TSM node name (TSM_NODENAME) = $$_TSMDBMGR_$$ $$_TSMDBMGR_$$
TSM owner (TSM_OWNER) =
TSM password (TSM_PASSWORD) = ***** *****

Hi again,

database backup finished now.

What I did was

1.) Clean unistall of baclient 8.1.4.1
2.) Clean install of baclient 8.1.4.0
3.) Upgrade the baclient to 8.1.4.1

Before I even had the opportunity to test SElias solution. Thanks for that anyway, I'll keep that in mind.

chad_small, to answer your question:

(TSM_MGMTCLASS) =
(TSM_NODENAME) =
(TSM_OWNER) =
(TSM_PASSWORD) = ***** *****

I'm actually surprised for the db-backup to work because the (TSM_NODENAME) = $$_TSMDBMGR_$$ is missing.
I really should read through the documentation to understand the background of this TSMDBMGR

Thanks again for all your help.
My target is to set these 2 Servers productive in 6 weeks but I feel like there is still a lot of work and research to do.

By "clean server 8.1.5.0" installation you mean i should reinstall the server and client afterwards?
You said you did a fresh insall of the server, that can also be called a clean install. I was referring to the one you already did, not the new one. My recommendation was to install client 8.1.4.1 after the server even if you had it installed prior in case the server overwrote the API.

Back