DB and libvols out of sync

h8mmer

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I completed a DRM procedure on a windows (W2K std server) TSM (5.2.2) environment recently for a customer using a DB backup from two weeks previously which was the date of their last DBB.

As they assured me they had not backed anything up to their primary tape pools (no diskpools in use) since the last DBB I did not run the "destroy primary tape vols" as part of the DRM procedure as all their volumes were still sat in the library.

It now turns out they did continue to backup ordinary filesystems after the last DBB (for about a week) until their TSM environment went kaput.

Now they are in a situation where their DB and volhist is out of sync and they cannot checkin tapes or run backups.

Is there anyway to solve this issue w/o having to re-perform the DRM procedure and this time delting the primary tape pool??

Your customers are idiots. Two weeks prior....you might as well call the whole thing off. The chances of the tapes from a two week old DBBackup being consistent is almost nil. Sure you'll restore as much as possible but the key here is did any of the tapes have reclamation run on them? More than likely they did so you will not be able to find every file according to where the old DB thinks they should be. Good luck, but you might as well inform them the DR will be a "as close as we can get it" process.

yes,

has Chad said,

even if there were no backups since the last DB backup (two week here)

there were for sure some reclamation done between these 14 days...

so you wil have data lost for sure,

unless, unlesss....

they specified the "Reuse delay" in the STgpools,

it can be, because you retain your Db more than two weeks!

acually I think nobody here does it for 14 days.

here I do keep my DB for 4 days and set the resuse delay to same.

here I do for 4 days

Unfortunately reuse delay was set to 5 days ....

Hopefully I've got around this by running an "audit volume" on the primary tape stgp to update the DB.

Took an age to complete (thank God its only a small library) but thats where junk food and caffeine come into their own!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Back