Database size = X amount of files

JonRoenick

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Is there any basic formula for calculating "If i have a total of 100 million files spread across my organization then i'm going to need X amount of GB for my TSM database"?

Right now my database is 60GB and it was running around 70% full. It filled up overnight when i switched 2 servers from BackupExec to TSM and bad things happened. Combined they have nearly 50 million files. How much more GB will i have to allocate to account for both of them?

The basic formula is 600 bytes per file (might be 600b per file per version, but I don't remember) but that doesn't include the activity log.

-Aaron

Jon,

The basic rule of thumb is that every version of a file you back up will consume between 400-600 bytes of DB storage. Copies of those (in a copystgpool, active data pool etc) will take 100-200 bytes in addition.

The answer to your question really depends on things like your retention times, how many versions you keep, nightly change rate etc.

As a quick calc, take the number of files you have in total and * by 600 bytes and that should tell you how big the database will be after a single full backup run (from a blank system that is). Growth from there will come down to your change rates and how long for and how many versions are kept.

Have a look at the below link for some more information on this:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc....jsp?topic=/com.ibm.itsml.doc/anrlgd55575.htm

-Chris

Thanks, quick repliers. Looks like i'd have to double the size to be on the safe side.

Back