Database cache hit ratio too low error in report

RandomAdmin

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
All,

once again I need expert's help, as per subject on the daily report (for 2 days now) we have the Database cache hit ratio too low - Increase buffer pool size value

I've searched the internet and the site for this specific error but all I could find, at least majority of the material, was referring to TSM 5.X and the proprietary DB that version was using but this server is 6.3.2, I've also read through the performance tuning guide but again not much info that could help.

Machine is Windows 2008 R2 and it has not been rebooted recently, last reboot is around October last year, nothing has been changed configuration wise, and the system should have plenty of memory as 24GB are installed with little in terms of used memory, if I run a q db f=d I get the following output:

Code:
                 Database Name: TSMDB1
Total Size of File System (MB): 418,497
    Space Used by Database(MB): 40,032
     Free Space Available (MB): 339,898
                   Total Pages: 2,650,116
                  Usable Pages: 2,649,980
                    Used Pages: 2,642,220
                    Free Pages: 7,760
         Buffer Pool Hit Ratio: 97.9
         Total Buffer Requests: 8,913,615,912
                Sort Overflows: 0
       Package Cache Hit Ratio: 99.9
  Last Database Reorganization:
        Full Device Class Name: 3592_TL01
  Incrementals Since Last Full: 0
Last Complete Backup Date/Time: 03/10/2015 06:30:20

As you can see the Buffer Pool Hit Ration is reporting 97.9 which is generating the alert (set at 98) and it stayed stable like that for the last three days, all in all TSM is operating normally without performance degradation or issues and backup schedules are running without issues.

Any idea what and if I should do anything?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Which report are you getting that on? If you are using the old 5.x Operational Reporting, that would explain it. Is 6.x, there is no Database Cache Hit Ratio.

Hmmm actually this is coming from the TSM daily report which is, acording to header, version 6.x

Code:
Server name: TSM01, platform: Windows, version: 6.2.2.30, date/time: 03/09/2015 07:00:38

I can also confirm message is still present on today's report.

What is the source of that Daily Report? Are you still using the Operational Reporter that was shipped with 5.x to report on a 6.x server?

Does your report look like this?
reptv6.jpg

Ok now I know this site exists for the sole purpose of making me feel like a noobie more than I already feel. I've double checked the Report and discovered two interesting things:

- It is generated on a server that does not exist on paper (It's a customer's environment so let you guess the rest)
- Report server is indeed 5.X - TSM Operational Reporting - Version 5, Release 5, Level 4.3

I guess all is good and I can ignore the alert, I still wonder why it was not there until couple of days ago but... well I'll soon upgrade both TSM and Reporting to 7.X so I don't want to know.

Once again... THANKS!

Back