daily and monthly backup

rakeshsinnya

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I have configured the TSM with default retention period. Now My requirement is:

1. I want to backup daily which should be expired in 3 months ( I am also confused with retention period and grace period, as per my understanding grace period is the period used to preserve data after expiration.)

2. And I would like to do monthly backup in seperate volumes with the retention period 2 years. If possible I'd like to define a set of volume for monthly backup.

any suggesstion will be appriciable

Thanks in advance

Ok, now forget it all, TSM does not work this way.
No daily backups, no monthly backups. There are versions.
No media sets. Tivoli Storage Manager is a Storage Manager, you do not care about media, media sets, it does for you. You backup data to TSM server and not to media. You restore data from TSM Server, not from media.
About daily and monthly:
What are retention policies you want to achieve with monthly and daily backups? I mean, what are possible scenarios for data restore? What you need to be able to do?

We used to be a backup exec shop. We also had the grandfather, father, son backup approach of yearly, monthly, daily. Well as Mita said you shouldn't try to make TSM fit the retention requirements from a previous product. They need to be restated.

TSM is primarily for disaster recovery. The big picture is server recovery not office document recovery. So in the event of a disaster such as server room fire or flood, malicious virus attack on server farm, hardware platform dies, or server patching gone wrong.... what is considered a reasonable amount of retention to protect for that?

With TSM you get a full picture of all active files every day. So you have to determine how many versions of a file you want to have on hand and for how long. I feel we are conservative .... our default MC is 16 versions for a max of 42 days.

This should provide plenty of time to discover a disaster and be able to recover from it.

If your management demands that you perform daily, monthly, and yearly backups then I suggest you do it like my old employer had it setup. They have a daily node (regular node_name), then the monthly node ( node_name-monthly or -m), and finally the yearly ( node_name-yearly or -y). Then we would run a command schedule that executed a windows script that determined which client options file to use depending on the date. We ran incremental only and it worked great for our situation. Was it a waste of resources? Not as much as a product like Backup Exec or Netbackup might use but the data was rarely, if ever requested. So logic says why eat up cost using the extra tape? However, with collocation turned off and the systems only doing incremental it was a lot less resource intensive.

Last edited:
What i am doing now is:
I'm archiving my datas ( always full backup) with default retention perios and i'm using TS3100. All the tapes are almost full but not getting expired. As per my understanding it will get expired after 2 years only because of 365 days retention grace period.

so what i'm planning is to take daily backup with 3 months or retention period and monthly backup with 1 year retention period. How to do it i need help in this.

Does your 3100 have one or two drives?
I am asking because you don't expire tapes in TSM, but data, and when you have only one drive, it is a bit difficult.

For your request about policy
You will achieve same (considering restore) if you switch to incremental backup, and set your policy to 365 days retextra and 365 days retonly, with some reasonable number of version - most conservative options are no limit in number of versions or 365 versions.
some two-digit number, eg 20 versions will probably do the job.
do incremental backup once a day.

Back