Create windows shortcut to dsmadsmc.exe

combato

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Pro's

I have made an shortcut on my desktop to dsmadsmc.exe with the following options:

"C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmadmc.exe" -tcpserveraddress=mytsmsrv -tcpport=1500

But when I double-click the shotcut it doesn't start. I can see it pops up and then disappears within milliseconds. I know I have seen this a couple of years ago but I can't remember how I solved it... Hmmm

Anyone that know how to fix this?

You have to cd to the Tivoli directory before you run dsmadmc.
Or, the working directory must be set to c:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient

Syntax:

"C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmadmc.exe" /tcpserveraddress=mytsmsrv /tcpport=1500

Added:

By the way, there should be a dsm.opt file in the baclient directory even if it is empty

Last edited:
I do have an empty dsm.opt file and I have set the "Start in" to: "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient" but still it doesn't work...

I found the reason.... I tried to run the dsmadmc.exe -tcpserveraddress=mytsmsrv -tcpport=1500 from the command line to find out any output error.
C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient>dsmadmc.exe -tcpserveraddress=mytsmsrv -tcpport=1500
ANS1398E Initialization functions cannot open one of the Tivoli Storage Manager
logs or a related file: c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient\dsmerror.log. errno= 13, Permission denied

I installed the software as administrator and the account I use to execute the shortcut are a member of the administrators local Group. Administrators has Full Control to the dsmerror.log file... I then added my own account to dsmerror.log and added Full Control permissions and this solved my problem.
Strange...

Back