copypool for large databases.

fresh

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
What is the best way to use DRM for large databases?

I have TDP_R3 installed and I'm backing up anywhere from 2-4TB per night using LANFREE.

Initially we only had one tape drive but now we have 3 and we upgraded to TSMEE so I was going to create a copypool (offsitepool) and 'backup stgpool' daily, but with such a large amount of data it will take a long time.

What should I do?

Just use move media to get it out of the library?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-fresh

I'd rather checkout the primary tapes of one weekday's backup or a copy of one weekday's backup and would only DRM the archived logs on a daily basis. That way you remain fully protected with minimal effort.

Cheers

PJ

I'm not too far from you in the size of my SAP R/3 system (2.5TB per system) on average, I send about 4TB every day in TDP for SAP R/3. We looked at LANFREE to save backup time, but I still had the requirement to provide offsite copies. With LANFREE, I could backup the R/3 Oracle database in about 4 hours using 3 sessions and 3 multiplexing. Performing the backup stgpool would then take 6 drives (3 read and 3 write) and about 10 to 12 hours. This wasn't acceptable to management.

What I have done to get the backups done in less than 6 hours AND provide an offsite copy was to setup a dedicated 1Gb/s network for backups and enable sync-write on the primary tape pool. I now backup the 2.5TB database in about 6 hours (slightly slower than LANFREE) but I make my copy at the same time as the primary backup. I am getting about 110MB/s over the 1Gb/s network and that is the bottleneck. If I were to add a second interface to both the TSM server and the SAP DB server as an etherchannel, I might be able to cut the 6 hours down, but as I'm right at the 6 hour limit, I decided to leave that as an upgrade option later.

BKI1215I: Average transmission rate was 386.950 GB/h (110.066 MB/sec).

BKI1227I: Average compression factor was 1.24.

BKI0020I: End of program at: Mon Oct 30 12:51:05 2006 .

BKI0021I: Elapsed time: 06 h 07 min 14 sec .

BKI0024I: Return code is: 0.

I send a complete backup of the system offsite (including hourly archlogs) every day and still keep the primary backup in the library.

-Aaron

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>I'd rather checkout the primary tapes of one weekday's backup or a copy of one weekday's backup and would only DRM the archived logs on a daily basis. That way you remain fully protected with minimal effort.

Cheers

PJ</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

That does sound good but I'll have to get approval for that because that means that during a restore you need to apply more redo logs, I wouldn't care ;) but maybe other would.

Thanks for the info.

-fresh

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not too far from you in the size of my SAP R/3 system (2.5TB per system) on average, I send about 4TB every day in TDP for SAP R/3. We looked at LANFREE to save backup time, but I still had the requirement to provide offsite copies. With LANFREE, I could backup the R/3 Oracle database in about 4 hours using 3 sessions and 3 multiplexing. Performing the backup stgpool would then take 6 drives (3 read and 3 write) and about 10 to 12 hours. This wasn't acceptable to management.

What I have done to get the backups done in less than 6 hours AND provide an offsite copy was to setup a dedicated 1Gb/s network for backups and enable sync-write on the primary tape pool. I now backup the 2.5TB database in about 6 hours (slightly slower than LANFREE) but I make my copy at the same time as the primary backup. I am getting about 110MB/s over the 1Gb/s network and that is the bottleneck. If I were to add a second interface to both the TSM server and the SAP DB server as an etherchannel, I might be able to cut the 6 hours down, but as I'm right at the 6 hour limit, I decided to leave that as an upgrade option later.

BKI1215I: Average transmission rate was 386.950 GB/h (110.066 MB/sec).

BKI1227I: Average compression factor was 1.24.

BKI0020I: End of program at: Mon Oct 30 12:51:05 2006 .

BKI0021I: Elapsed time: 06 h 07 min 14 sec .

BKI0024I: Return code is: 0.

I send a complete backup of the system offsite (including hourly archlogs) every day and still keep the primary backup in the library.

-Aaron</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, what a great option. I never even though about that. Originally we only had a 100Mbit/s LAN but it's now 1Gbit/s. I think I may purpose this as a possible solution, as you're right, you have a complete backup of the system offsite with a primary onsite, which is what I'm looking for.

It's going to get harder to come up with creative way like this to get data offsite with the amount data is growing.

Thanks for your prompt response,

-fresh

Back