copy pool

tsmlover

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
there are 2 seprate tape stg pools one for file server and one for exchange server

my question is : can i backup these 2 pools on one copy pool or should i create 2 seprate copy pool one for exchange and one for file server

what do you recommend ?

Personally I would create 2 copy pools to segregate this type of data as usually file data contains lots of small files and exchange data big database files.

You could have 1 copy pool, but in a DR you might get tape contention if trying to restore File data and Exchange at the same time.

The other advantage of having a 1:1 primary to copy pool relationship is that each primary storage pools may contain data with like retention policies. Therefore a primary and copy tape will tend to expire at similar rates, meaning less need reclamation may be required.

If two or more primary storage pools backup to a single copy pool, when the primary volumes for particular storage pools expire, this will mean only part of the associated copy pool volume will expire and then the rest needs to be reclaimed .... if that makes sense.

Back