Controling nodes capacity

adamsnir

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

I am running a TSM server 5.5.2 - I got asked if there is anyway to control the node capacity for one node or for group of nodes as I want to set limits for the backup capacity of each node.

I'd like to know if you know a good way to do that.

thanks in advance!

Hi,

as far as I know there is no quota you can set. What you can do is to create separate stgpool of given size for each node/group.
But I find this whole idea going against basic purpose of backup task. What happens if the node is over its quota? Backup fails? You want to have most current backup and deleting the old backups when running out of space means your policies are not followed ...
Better way is to monitor the usage and react on breaching the threshold.
Easy way to find the amount of data stored by node is "q auditocc" command

Harry

thanks for the answer.
the things is i am in a situation that we want save as much space as we can - that is to make the backup takes the minimum space it needs to do a good backup that is restore-able since we cant do the quota thing..
so i guess we are in bit of a problem..

Hi,

best way to safe space in backup is to check every single client and exclude everything what you do not need to backup. Admins of servers to be backed up often do not want to bother with it (they have more important tasks to do ...) but I see "take the whole machine" approach a lot - then it turns out all they really need is just a single folder with export of application data ...
Ask yourself - do we need to backup OS files? Is it possible that reinstallation of the OS from scratch is faster than doing DR with TSM? (which may involve clean install anyway ....)
This kind of planning is the best space saving technique ....

Harry

Back