Confused with CAD service and ports configuration on AIX node.

Zeeuus

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a AIX node witch runs 3 diffrent schedulers today.
What I want to accomplish is using CAD to listen instead. (As the schedules are promted.)

Do I have to specify different httport in each stanza of the dsm.sys file or could I use the same port for everyone?
As I understand (Please correct me if I am wrong.)
  • The CAD deamon listens to one port (lets say 1501)
  • Starts the schedule deamon for the stanza that the TSM server promted for backup.
  • The sched deamon performs it's scheduled event.

What does the clientport option in the stanza do in this setup? Could this option be dropped now?
Without CAD clientport is the port to listen to, but this is handled by CAD now?
Do I need to increment by one, every httpport in each sanza to get this setup to work?

/Zeeuus

Each stanza will need a different HTTPport in the dsm.sys. If you don't set it differently the other two will complain that the port is in use and pick a random HTTPPort.

You really probably don't need to specify a client port, they'll be a random available one, if you have a firewall in between the TSM server and this client then you may need to specify and open the ports. If there is a firewall you'll also want to look at the webport option as well.

Hi
TSM Client can use the following ports:

TCPPort 1500
tcpclientp 1501
HTTPport 1581
Webport 1552 1553

I suggest to set all ports to the fixed values because it simplify troubleshooting.

Ports usage for:
Port 1500 connection from TSM Client to TSM server, the same for all TSM Clients and stanza's.
Port 1501 connection from TSM Server to TSM client if you use TSM Scheduler without CAD. Must be the unique in each TSM Client stanzas
Port 1581 connection from Workstation to TSM Remote Agent (WEB client). Must be the unique in each TSM Client stanzas
Port 1552 connection from TSM Server to TSM client if you use CAD (TSM Acceptor) + TSM Scheduler. Must be the unique in each TSM Client stanzas
Port 1553 connection from TSM Server to TSM Remote Agent if you use TSM Acceptor + TSM Scheduler + TSM Remote Agent. Must be the unique in each TSM Client stanzas

So you can set all ports, but open firewall only for required.

If you use cad + scheduler:
Client IP -> Server IP, TCP 1500
Server IP -> Client IP, TCP 1552

If you use scheduler:
Server IP -> Client IP, TCP 1501

If you use cad + scheduler + web:
Server IP -> Client IP, TCP 1552
Server IP -> Client IP, TCP 1553
Workstation -> Client IP, TCP 1581
Efim