Confuse on TSM supported backup type

fxsg123

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been reading Tsm related material online and come across a very good article via tsm tutorial.

One paragraph state:
"
TSM supports different kinds of backup methods/types such as Full, Incremental, Differential, Progressive Incremental, Adaptive subfile and Imagebackup etc"

At least for v7.1, I can't seem to find the option or setting to backup in differential mode? Also it seem tsm increment is alway progressive incremental; therefore there's no available separate option in tsm for slection of progressive incremental and incremental?

Am I right to state out of all quote, only progressive incremental, adaptive subfile and image backup is suppported?

you can heve incremental by date, in general backup language that would be a differential on file level.

you can heve incremental by date, in general backup language that would be a differential on file level.
Not really, it's still an incremental, the only difference is that it only compares the last modified date to the last backup completed date of the filespace instead of comparing all the file attributes (date, size, CRC, permissions, attributes).

In terms of file backup, TSM uses incremental forever, the first backup being a full because there nothing has been backed up previously, every subsequent backup is incremental and will only backup new files and changed files. The latest version of each file is always active and will never expire, so if you backup a file today and it doesn't get modified for 5 years, you can restore it in 5 years.

Now, if we are talking TDP backups (DB, mail, VM, etc.), then yes you can do the traditional Full, incremental or differential.

Back