Configuring for two NAS storage devices

[email protected]

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
We've been backing around 50T via NDMP on our Bluearc, albeit with some fancy work around using VirtualFS's. Now we are introducing an Isilon product (sans the Backup Accelerator) that we'll be backing up as well. Our current configuration has an IBM tape Library with 5 LTO's connected to the Brocade fiber switches that are part of the Bluearc installation and a TSM server version of 5.5. The Isilon has no fiber connects and will - for now - be connecting via copper.

I'm having trouble getting/finding any information on how to properly configure our TSM for including the Isilon (which I expect to do NDMP with as well). Can any of you good folk point me in the right direction? All the docs I've found thus far speak to working the NDMP backup utilizing the Isilon Backup Accelerator (fiber connects) and I'm pretty sure that's the wrong path to take - one that incorporates the Backup Accelerator. Any bread crumb will be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

why can't you connect the Isilon backup accelerator to your Brocade switch and zone your tape drives to it ?

how about 3-way NDMP ? TSM supports it and i had to do it with my Celerra once. You are still using NDMP protocol but you are streaming data over the network. What i do not know if NDMP is enabled on Isilon when you do not have accelerator attached to it. NDMP runs on port 10000 , see if you can telnet to that port on your Isilon

how about 3-way NDMP ? TSM supports it and i had to do it with my Celerra once. You are still using NDMP protocol but you are streaming data over the network. What i do not know if NDMP is enabled on Isilon when you do not have accelerator attached to it. NDMP runs on port 10000 , see if you can telnet to that port on your Isilon

Yes, that's exactly what I want to do - 3-way NDMP. I do have NDMP set up on the Isilon, set to port 10000. Just unsure of how to configure TSM. I did try some of the Isilon steps that "seemed" to make sense for configuring TSM, however, when I tried creating the datamover it err'd stating that it could not communicate with the server.

basic communicaiton ok? You can telnet to port 10000 from your TSM server ? Did you setup an account on Isilon that will be used by TSM ?

Aha.... no account has been set up on the Isilon for TSM, so that is definitely a piece of the puzzle. Thanks dynamox! Do you know of any docs on this topic, I've googled, but have not found any thing that seems to fit.

I think it's NDMP administrator account that you need to create (on Isilon under Backup > NDMP Settings)

Ok, set up the account, figured out that the node name was not registered - so I got past the communication hurdle. Now, how to direct it existing tape library and paths (connected to a different system).

i don't know what version of TSM you are using but the admin guide should have a section "Performing NDMP Filer to Tivoli Storage Manager Server Backups"

Back