Comments in the inclexcl ?

itdrew

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
How can I include comments in the inclexcl file for Windows and Unix?

Thanks in advance.

Drewbie the newbie :-o

Hello Drew,

Here is a sample of a UNIX inclexcl file:

exclude /.../core

exclude.dir /cdrom

exclude.dir /tmp

exclude.dir /var/tmp

exclude.dir /var/run

exclude.dir /.../cd_image

exclude.fs /1a

include.dir /1a/bob

The include /exclude file is read from bottom to top. That is why you see the include.dir entry at the bottom of the file for the directory /1a/bob. While directly above it the entire filesystem is excluded.

You can find more examples in the TSM for UNIX BA Client User's Guide beginning on page 30 and on IBM's website http://www.ibm.com/support/us on the right side of the page select the link Software Support Guide under the heading Find Resources. In box 1. enter include exclude Box 2. just leave it as is Box 3. Click the submit button (box 2. is used to refine your search criteria, initially you should wait until you see the list that the initial search produces and then if you want to refine your criteria you can do it on that page). You should find some help there on both Windows and UNIX. Additionally, you can get more Windows help from the TSM for Windows BA Client User's Guide (all of these giudes and manuals can be found on your CD's.

I hope the information I've provided is of use to you.

Take Care,

Angelo Proen

Angelo,

Thank you for your speedy reply. That is a great resource for TSM! I would like to clarify my question a little. When I write scripts, I'm big on comments. I like to comment everything I do so that when I go back to change it a year later I don't need to try to figure out why I was doing something a certain way.

So in an inclexcl file can I do something like this with comments?

# The following lines are recommended by TSM installing the clients V4.2

exclude /unix

exclude /.../core

exclude /.../.SpaceMan/.../*

# The following is excluded until my manager gets back from vacation

exclude /home/jimm/backup

exclude /opt/jimm

Thanks Again :-o

Drew,

I know this sounds weird (I still think it is) but comments within TSM for UNIX (I'm not sure about Windows, but check it out before assuming anything) are preceeded by the * and not the # as most UNIX admins would assume.

Please look at comment lines in a couple of other TSM for UNIX files like:

TSM Client

dsm.sys (and if it exists dsm.sys.smp)

dsm.opt (and if it exists dsm.opt.smp)

TSM Server

dsmserv.opt.smp

See ya,

Angelo

null

TSM scripts and macros read comments differently, too.

In scripts and macros, I think comments have to be like this:

/* ADD COMMENT HERE */

That's the way all the scripts and macros I inherited are written, anyway.

Back