Client logging towards server ?

bipsen

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi!

I haven't been able to locate any info on the subject - hope someone in here knows how to solve my problem...

I have a number of clients doing backup... But I'd like to have either certain entries (or maybe the complete log) from the scheduler available on my TSM server ... The reason for this is, that if I want to check the amount of transferred data from the client (files, bytes, compresseion ratio) - I need to get these from the scheduler log - I can't get them from the normal server log.

Ho do I obtain this info from the server ? Is it possible to direct the logging from the scheduler on the client towards the server ? If yes, how ?

Regards,

/Brian

Query the activity log after your backup, it will tell you all that.

q actlog begintime=now-12

The 12 being 12 hours since my last backup. You can use whatever time frame you need to get the activity of your last backup.

Along with "q actlog begintime=now-12"

you can add search="nodename" and/or msg="message number" to log for specific types of messages.

i.e. msg=4961

Failures 2579

ElapseTime 4964

TransferBytes 4961

TransferRate 4966

Completed 2507

TDP MSExchg 4991

Start time 0406

Sch Prompted 2561

Missed Sched 2578

objects failed 4959

db backup 4554

Full db backup 0985

Hallo Brian,

perhaps there is a way to use API routines...

Without the need of programming some stuff, you might try a postschedulecmd like

/usr/bin/mail [email protected] < $DSM_LOG/dsmsched.log

defined in TSM client options file (e.g. $DSM_DIR/dsm.sys) within a server stanza.

If you are looking for specific information from the client's logfile, you might think about a lean script (e.g. REXX) to extract them for you already on the client's side.

Other ways - and even easier I guess is to sql-query the TSM server DB:

(0) select entity, end_time-start_time as duration , examined, affected, failed (.....) from summary

(1) select client_name, bytes_sent, bytes_received, wait_seconds, Mountpoint_wait (....) from sessions

Have a look at "select tabname,colname,typename,remarks from columns" output. Have in mind that there are activity log and activity summary retention periods defined (compare your query status output). Another point is that you loose all information about schedule summaries, whenever you change the relevant schedules.

The best way after all is what I prefer: delegate such things to the TSM client node's administration.

Cheers

Michael

Back