checked out scratches

princemo4

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello experts,

I need major help on this 3580 library.

My client is running TSM 5.1.5 on AIX 4.3.3 with 3580 library SCSI w/2 drives and 18 slots.

How do I find out if a tape can be scratched if it has been checked out of the library?

I don't really understand the whole tape in/out library thing.

Thanks in advance

M. N.

knowledge-less consultant :confused:

If it shows up in query volume then it has data on it. Those can't be scratched.

thanks, but that's not what I meant.

I.E.

tsm> q vol

blah01 stgblah

blah05 stgblah

blah06 copylah

blah07 copylah

tsm> q libv

blah08 data

blah09 data

blah10 data

tsm> q drm

blah11

blah12

from that example above, the only way I can search for a scratch tape (not using a new one) is to pick a number from the blah01 to blah05 (blah02, blah03, blah04) since they aren't assigned to a storage pool nor are they in the library. Is there any other way?

Maybe there is not, but how would I know?

thanks

M. N.

I think this query does what you need:

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Code:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><PRE>select library_name, volume_name, status from libvolumes where status='Scratch'</PRE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

The easiest way to check and see if tapes are scratch is if they do not exist as a vault tape. q drm. If the tape is in the list as vault, then it is NOT a scratch. If that tape number does NOT exist in the list, you can do the checkin command and insert it into the library as a scratch.

I understand where you are coming from with this question. Please let me know if you need more information. :)

Back