Changing device class name of a storage pool

vvragav

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to change the device class of a storage pool. Is it possible? Is there any other way? Please help me.

nopes.once you define a stg you are telling tsm what kind of storage media it uses and stuff and hence You cant change it. Create a new stg if you like.

yes, you cannot update a Device class of a stgpool but you can change the library etc of device class...

but it is strange that TSM doesnt allow to update the stgpool device class? can someone explain the underlying reason ......

Hi,
I want to change the device class of a storage pool. Is it possible? Is there any other way? Please help me.

My guess is you updated your media from LTO-2 to LTO-4 or something similar? Just update the device class to read LTO-4 media and you're good to go. There really is no good reason to change the device class of a storage pool. The device class in theory is only a name. If you're switching from SDLT to LTO or something, you'll need to rename your current storage pool and define a new one with a new device class. Then let the old data expire gracefully.

You cannot update the storage pool devclass cannot be dont. However there is a way to move the data further into the required stgpool.

1.create the new storagepool with the actual devclass that you need to you
2. Make this new storagepool as the Nextstoragepool for the existing storagepool
3.Make the present storagepool HIGH mig to 0% so that the new data goes to the new storagepool.

Back