Change To Scratch Status

TechnoBlast

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
TSM is still new to me and I'm learning new commands as I go.

Is there a command that change the status of one tape from Private to Scratch? If so, what's the syntax. I've done a search, but wasn't able to find anything.

Thanks for everyone's help.

update libvol {libr} {vol} status=scratch owner="" (nothing between the double quotes)

If possible, this will update the volume to scratch. There are times when TSM will not allow a volume to become scratch but these normally involve DRM and the volhist file. Check your activity log if the volume doesn't update as scratch as it will tell you why.

-Aaron

I tried the command you gave me but said that it's not allowed.

This is the tape I'm trying to change to Scratch status.

TAPELIB1 A00245L2 Private TSM_HOUSTON 49

-----------------------------------------

This is the result I'm getting.

ANR8443E UPDATE LIBVOLUME: Volume A00245L2 in library TAPELIB1 cannot be assigned a status of SCRATCH.

--------------------------------------------------

Any reasons why I'm getting this guys.

Thanks for the help.

can you do a
"q vol A00245L2 f=d"
"q libv TAPELIB1 A00245L2 f=d"

I tried the command you gave me but said that it's not allowed.

This is the tape I'm trying to change to Scratch status.

TAPELIB1 A00245L2 Private TSM_HOUSTON 49

-----------------------------------------

This is the result I'm getting.

ANR8443E UPDATE LIBVOLUME: Volume A00245L2 in library TAPELIB1 cannot be assigned a status of SCRATCH.

--------------------------------------------------

Any reasons why I'm getting this guys.

Thanks for the help.

And I said
Check your activity log if the volume doesn't update as scratch as it will tell you why.

So, what did your activity log say was the problem? It should tell you why it wont do it.

-Aaron

You can always eject the Tape from the system and then issue the following:

tsm> delete vol A00245L2 discard=yes

Then you can check the tape in as a scratch tape. However, you are going to want to make sure there is not DATA on this particular tape first. If there is, then issue the following first:

tsm> move data A00245L2

The data will be moved off the tape and the tape will go back to scratch itself. If it doesn't go back to scratch, issue the delete vol command.

Can I ask *why* you want to force the tape into a status of scratch? This will effectively remove any backup data that you have on there and certainly isn't in the normal course of a TSM Admin's day to day activities.

A less distruptive mechanism (e.g. if you think you might have a problem with a particular tape) would be to perform a 'move data <my volume name>' which will move the data contained on the tape to another volume in the same storage pool, and ultimately returning the tape in question back to a scratch status.

HTH,

David McClelland
London, UK

Back