Capacity used for a policy domain

nabildz

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Capacity used by oracle clients

Hi

We have a set of oracle clients getting backed up by TSM with a retention of 60 days, but after speaking to our DBA he said that RMAN is only using 7 days retention and anything over 7 days on TSM is useless anyway as RMAN won't recognize it.

How can we find out how much space is stored on TSM for oracle servers that is over 7 days, and how then can we delete to free up space

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
If you are using TDP and RMAN, RMAN is responsible for expiring old backups. Then the TSM expiration should get rid of them. You can also use the tdposync utility.

You can query the total storage occupancy of your node(s):

select node_name as "Node Name",type as "Type",filespace_name as "Filespace name",stgpool_name as "Stgpool name",num_files as "# files",cast(physical_mb/1024 as decimal(14,2)) as "GBs" from occupancy where node_name='your_node_name' and stgpool_name='your_primary_stgpool'

and then calculate the space used for the backups done in the last 7 days (I assume you do daily Oracle backups) from the summary table:

select sum(bytes)/1024/1024/1024 from summary where entity='your_node_name' and activity='BACKUP' and start_time between <7 days ago> and <now>

The difference should be an aproximate of what you want.

Rudy

Hi Rore

Many Thanks for your reply
yes we are using TDP

I just checked that, and managed to calculate the total of all ORACLE clients from occupancy table and total backup for these clients from the last 7 days

The difference is HUGE !!

Occupancy is about 24 TB

Backup for the last 7 days

how do I expire data over 7 days for oracle clients

Many Thanks again

nabildz-

The DBA's needs to "tdposync utility" to expire any old data base from the the server side and TSM will expire those entry within TSM DB.

The DBA's needs to do their part 1st...

Good Luck

Thank you

do we need to change retention first??

Back