Can't get scratch tape back...

phyberport

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm running TSM 5.2.2 on Win2k Server. The other day, I took a previously labeled scratch tape out of our library, and then did an audit of the library. I then realized later, I still needed that tape, so I put it back into the library in a different slot and did an audit of the library again. (I can't remember the thought process here). Anyway, TSM won't use the tape, and keeps marking it as unavailable. I have marked it as readwrite, but TSM marks it as unavailable again. How do I get TSM to start using this tape again?

Yes, I'm using the command: checkin libvol ltolib search=yes checklabel=barcode status=scratch ,but it errors out saying volume cannot be marked as scratch.

Sounds like the volume has data on it. You need to check in the volume as private.

Andy

The volume did have data on it but was marked as a scratch tape by TSM the previous day, so I'm assuming TSM would have used it to write data to it the next time it needed it. What would ckecking it in as private do?

Checking it in as private will allow you to see why TSM does not think the tape is scratch.

Andy

Ok, it checked in as private. It still said the access was unavailable, so I changed it to readwrite. Is everything fine now? How can I check it's ok?

You said you needed the tape again? It should be usable. If you simply want to empty the tape, do a move data on that tape and it should become scratch.

Andy

Ok, thanks Andy I feel much better now. I'm still new to TSM, but hopefully someday I can return the favor.

Thanks again.

Little late in the stream, but I think you're confused about some of the info found in "q vol <vol> f=d"

The "scratch=yes/no" doesn't mean it is a scaratch tape or not. It means that when that tape has been emptied, does it go back into the scratch pool or not. My oeprators were confused about that for months.

When you perform the checkin, the tape couldn't be checked into the library as scratch because it had data on it and tsm KNEW it had data on it. (q actlog just after the checkin to confirm this) Once it was checked in as private, tsm can then use it to reclaim from (like the move data command) or write to if it isn't in the "full" status.

-Aaron

Back