1. Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.
    If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.
  2. Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)
    Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Can't get encryption to work with TDP Exchange aaargh!

Discussion in 'Exchange / Outlook' started by mirrorsaw, Apr 1, 2017.

1. mirrorsaw

mirrorsaw ADSM.ORG Member

Hi all,
    My Exchange backups work perfectly fine until I try and enable encryption, then any attempts to backup result in a generic API error
    ANS1235E (RC-1) An unknown system error has occurred from which TSM cannot recover.
    ACN5060E A Tivoli Storage Manager API error has occurred.

According to the documentation from IBM I just need to put the following lines into the dsm.opt file for the local DSM agent (BA Client, the Opt file used for the CAD service)...

ENABLECLIENTENCRYPTKEY
    ENCRYPTIONTYPE AES128
    include.encrypt *\...\*

And that's it, if I comment out the last line, things work (though unencrypted).

The weird thing is that at one point the encryption was working, and after a server reboot it broke - so we know that the software versions etc. are all ok. We're using TDP 7.1.1.0 and the TSM client is 7.1.3.1 (TSM API Version).

It's driving me absolutely mad, IBM so far haven't had any helpful suggestions.

3. moon-buddy

moon-buddy ADSM.ORG Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    Have you tried reinstalling the BA and TDP clients or updating the TDP client?

4. chad_small

chad_small ADSM.ORG Moderator

AIX/SAN/TSM
    What happens if you change the include.encrypt to state a specific drive then the subdirs with it?

include.encrypt d:\...\*

Or what happens when you surround the include argument with double quotes?

include.encrypt "*\...\*"
    include.encrypt "d:\...\*"

It's possible TSM is not liking the statement due to something changing in the OS.