Can't find Windows Directory when trying to restore

itdrew

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I was asked to perform a restore on a Windows machine that we run manual backups on (thus no sched logs). When I started up the GUI and navigated to the subdirectory to restore, I can't see the directory there.

Any thoughts?

TSM 2003 Windows client version 5.2.3.12

Thanks,

Drew

:confused:

Can you do a

q act search="Your node_name" begind=-10

just to know if your server had been really backuped !!

:rolleyes:

So far as I can see there are only three reasons why you aren't seeing this directory.

1. You don't have a backup of it.

2. You do have a backup of it, but for some reason it has been marked inactive (this is pretty unlikely for the windows directory). Make sure that you are looking for inactive files.

3. For some reason it is being backed up to a node name you aren't expecting. Do a q act for the ip address of the server to see what node name it was using.

Option 1 is by far the most likely though. In which case you are into 'why wasn't it backed up?' which is a whole different question.

may,

All the backups on that node are run by hand. I actually watch them run so I know that they are running.

Tom.s, With #1 below, I think that is probably correct. I would bet that's where May was going with his comment.

It appears that I do not have a backup copy of the directory at all. I did check off "display inactive" on the restore GUI, and all directories on either side of it were backed up.

Both the directories and files go to the same management class too. hmm........

What command are you using to run the backup? Either that is wrong or your include/exclude list is to blame.

I shouldn't have thought it's anything to do with managements classes.

If the files you want really aren't there your one hope is that this is a recent problem and that you have a db backup old enough to go back to.

Other than this there is really nothing much to be done other than work out what went wrong.

okey !

but did u try the query i told you for??

with the result from this query, u will know if there was objects (or Kilobytes) transfered to the TSM server from your node.

so pze try the query.

and also,

if u want to have a log from backup lunch from commandline put a

> c:\tsmlog.log

for example:

dsmc i > c:\tsmlog.log

Back