can't figure out what TSM tapes are

kat

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have several tapes that I can not figure out where or what storage pool they belong to.
When I use q vol I get no match found using this criteria. When I try to check in as scratch I get vol cannot be assigned a status of scratch. It is not a DRM or DBS tape either. When I run a select command
select * from volhistory where volume_name='xxx' I get no match found using this criteria. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can figure out what these tapes are?

If you don't see these volumes anywhere else, it is good to assume that these are not part of any storage pool.

To check in as scratch, use the label command with option overwrite=yes and checkin=scratch

Hi Kat ,

Do you use library manager & library client in your environment??

If so did u try q libvol on all of them ?

And did u try checking the volume as private !!

Hi Kat ,

Do you use library manager & library client in your environment??

If so did u try q libvol on all of them ?

And did u try checking the volume as private !!

yes I have 2 servers and checked both, same results
I can check them in as private, forgot to mention that...
Makes me think they are part of some pool, I am a bit nervous to delete.

Ok I will try to checkin as you stated earlier, thanks
wow I am just getting to this now and still can not get this made to a scratch tape.
I used the command: label libvol 3583lto_1 (libname) search=bulk labelso=barcode checkin=scratch overwrite=yes. the output from tsm was: vol xxx in lib cannot be labeled because it is currently defined in a storage pool or in the volume history file. It is not in storage pool, can not find in vol history with select command.

I was able to delete that volume from the vol history file and I now have a scratch tape! Thank you to all who helped me brainstorm...

Back