Cannot checkin or label volumes after upgrade of server

jgibbo

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We recently upgraded our TSM server from 5.4 to 6.2.3.1 and now im experiencing a strange problem.

We have a single drive TS3100 IBM tape library which was working correctly before the upgrade.

After the upgrade the library is acting weird. Backups can write to tapes that are in the library without problem.

But if i try to label a new tape or if i try to checkin an existing tape the tape gets mounted into the drive but then the process seems to hang.

Even if i cancel the process it tells me the process is being canceled but if a do q proc the process stays there telling me its being canceled and if i do a q drive f=d the mounded tape never seems to unload from the drive.

I have no idea why it is acting like this as obviously tsm sees the library if it can write to existing tapes.

help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hello,

First ) stop your library manager
Second) if you do A power recycle in the web interface of the TapeLibrary. If not, stop and restart the tapelibrary. After restart your TSMLibraryManager

I have the same problem 2 weeks ago.

i have rebooted the library and the server multiple times. i have also restored factory defaults on the library.

alas it will use tapes and write to tapes already in the library but it refused to label or checkin new tapes.

any ideas what log files i should look in to see errors

in /var/log/messages i get
Jun 22 12:09:07 tsm2 kernel: lin_tape: IBMChgr1-----9_LL0 changer_check_result() sensekey: 6 asc: 28 ascq: 1

but from my reasearch that is normal

Check other posts here, but IBM posted today that lin_tape 1.38 may be bad. I have this problem with data domain VTL.

Thanks,

IBM support helped me on this one. lin_tape 1.38-1 is definitely bad. They said i could ask for a pre release version of 1.40 or revert to an old copy. Lucky i still had a copy of 1.34.

Installed that and everything is good again :)

Jason

Back