can a copypool have a different retention policy?

opeth

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have a situation where I keep 30 days in my primary pool, but have limited storage in the copypool and wondering if there is a way to have a different retention policy on the copypool OR only migrate 7 days data to the copypool.

Is this possible?

Retention is done at the object level, not the storage pool level. So all copies of a given object expire at the same time.

The copypool tapes are supposed to be stored offsite in a vault, are you saying your vault is too small? There's no other location you can put your offsite tapes?

Our primary storage pool is a VTL on a EMC Data domain. We are using EMC replication technology to replicate certain libraries to another datadomain that doesnt have as much storage as the primary. We would be ok with less retention on the replicated data but i just cant really figure a way of doing this.

One option is to use TSM replication technology to another local tsm server and then push it to the library to be replicated, another is to do active data copy .. im not thrilled with either as it just seems like more processes and work to do something that should be simple.

One option is to use TSM replication technology to another local tsm server and then push it to the library to be replicated,
If you use TSM replication, you don't need the library replication. So the source (primary) TSM server is connected to the primary VTL and the target TSM Server to the second VTL. Then use TSM replication to replicate the data from the source to target TSM Servers. And on the target, you can have a shorter retention.
another is to do active data copy .. im not thrilled with either
That would not help you.
We would be ok with less retention on the replicated data but i just cant really figure a way of doing this.
Your idea to explore TSM replication sounds like the best approach if you have access to a 2nd TSM Server.

Just remember that there is also more overhead to replication, so your current TSM Server may or may not be adequate for this either.

Back