Breakdancing

Rick111

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
vpnova.com
I am working through the DRM Prepare file to ensure I have all the correct files backed up incase I need to do a restore. Now, one of the first call lines are as follows

rem Initialize the log and database files.

call "C:\PROGRAM FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\RECPLANS\LOGANDDB.VOLUMES.INSTALL.CMD" 1> "C:\PROGRAM FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\RECPLANS\LOGANDDB.VOLUMES.INSTALL.LOG" 2>&1

type "C:\PROGRAM FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\RECPLANS\LOGANDDB.VOLUMES.INSTALL.LOG"

I have correctly configured DRM, see here for drmstatus http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/6639/drms5hd.jpg

I am currently manually running a prepare command which generates a prepare file, see here for the files http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/1602/prepare3ze.jpg

Now in the recplans dir I have no cmd files, so I already know the above script would fail. When I run the prepare command I get following SUCCESSFUL message

ANR2017I Administrator ADMIN issued command: PREPARE (SESSION: 869)

Oct 28, 2005 10:48:38 AM

ANR0984I Process 60 for PREPARE started in the BACKGROUND at 10:48:38. (SESSION: 869, PROCESS: 60)

ANR9678W C:\Program Files\Tivoli\tsm\Server\dsmserv used for server executable. A server is currently running as a service. (SESSION: 869, PROCESS: 60)

ANR6918W PREPARE: Recovery instructions file C:\PROGRAM FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\RECINST\RECOVERY.INSTRUCTIONS.GENERAL not found. (SESSION: 869, PROCESS: 60)

ANR6918W PREPARE: Recovery instructions file C:\PROGRAM FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\RECINST\RECOVERY.INSTRUCTIONS.OFFSITE not found. (SESSION: 869, PROCESS: 60)

ANR6918W PREPARE: Recovery instructions file C:\PROGRAM FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\RECINST\RECOVERY.INSTRUCTIONS.INSTALL not found. (SESSION: 869, PROCESS: 60)

ANR6918W PREPARE: Recovery instructions file C:\PROGRAM FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\RECINST\RECOVERY.INSTRUCTIONS.DATABASE not found. (SESSION: 869, PROCESS: 60)

ANR6918W PREPARE: Recovery instructions file C:\PROGRAM FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\RECINST\RECOVERY.INSTRUCTIONS.STGPOOL not found. (SESSION: 869, PROCESS: 60)

ANR9680W Unable to locate path for Administrative Client in registry. (SESSION: 869, PROCESS: 60)

ANR9680W Unable to locate path for Administrative Client in registry. (SESSION: 869, PROCESS: 60)

ANR6922W PREPARE: No machine information was defined for the machine that contains server ESXTIVOLI_SERVER1. (SESSION: 869, PROCESS: 60)

ANR6900I PREPARE: The recovery plan file C:\PROGRAM FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\RECPLANS\20051028.104838 was created. (SESSION: 869, PROCESS: 60)

ANR0985I Process 60 for PREPARE running in the BACKGROUND completed with completion state SUCCESS at 10:48:38. (SESSION: 869, PROCESS: 60)

What's the script here guys? :rolleyes:

Rick,

I suspect that you did not create the recovery instruction files that the prepare is looking for when you run the prepare command. You must create these files which contain your specific instructions which should be followed in the event that you are not available to recover the environment. You would put things like hardware configurations, directions to obtaining licenses and passwords, onsite or offsite specific instructions, restore sequences, etc..

The DRM documentation can be found at

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/index.jsp

The instruction files that you create are bundled into the plan file every time you run the prepare command. In your case the plan file is: FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\RECPLANS\20051028.104838

Using these instructions, any TSM admin can reasonably be expected to recover your environment with a minimum of fuss (assuming the OS can talk to the tape library and the ethernet is working correctly and the correct tapes are in the library.....etc, etc, etc,.... DR is a fun vacation away from the office ;)))))))))))

Have a nice day!

neil

Cheers for the reply Neil

I understand I have not created instruction files however the only person who would perform the DR procedure would be myself. I am currently documenting the process while testing it out.

I have read elsewhere that although these instruction files are available, they are not a necessity.

I still have the problem where as, if I beak the prepare file apart and begin running commands, it will fail as the required cmd files are not located where specified in the prepare file.

Please advise.

Rick,

You could just create dummy files with a line like "test General instruction file" in it so you could run your recovery script without error.

I recover on AIX. After I expand the recovery file to it's components, I tend to run each file or set of commands by hand so i can better control what is happening, be able to stop recovery before any disk pools are restored and modify what is recreated to meet the recovery environment equipment available (i.e. I don't need a 12GB log file to start recovery or I may put the DB files on different filesystems).

cheers,

neil

Thanks for your reply Neil.

I have created dummy files and now receive no errors when running the prepare command. I too would rather run the commands manually for greater control but became confused when reading within the prepare plan file, that cmd files would be executed that did not exist.

This left me wondering if maybe I was doing something wrong. I will be attempting a DR scenario some time next week hopefully, so no doubt you'll hear from me then.

Thanks again.

Hello,

In the plan file, you see : call "C:\TIVOLI\TSM\RECPLANS\LOGANDDB.VOLUMES.INSTALL.CMD" to be executed.

In fact, you must create this file directly from the plan file as this.

exemple with LOGANDDB.VOLUMES.INSTALL.CMD;

1 look section in plan file call LOGANDDB.VOLUMES.INSTALL

2 Copy section in LOGANDDB.VOLUMES.INSTALL.CMD file (without "begin LOGANDDB.VOLUMES.INSTALL script" and "end LOGANDDB.VOLUMES.INSTALL script"

3 Save your job

...And so on for all scripts you will find in plan file.

Enjoy

There is actually a plan breakout vb script that pulls all of those scripts out of the planfile. Look in c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\server. It is called planexpl.vbs

I had to play with it a little to get it to run, but it creates all of the .CMD files for you with your current planfile information.

Back