Bootstrap backs up over multiple Pools

biofreak

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi gents,

I have 8 sites with EMC Networker installed. I have setup 4 groups on all of these sites. Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Yearly groups/schedules and pools.
All these schedules/groups have different retention periods (nl. 8 weeks, 12 months and 5 years)

My backup server is in each of these groups. Whenever the backups run, networker starts all the above groups (Daily, weekly, monthly and yearly) each and every time... In the backup job it tried to only do a bootstrap save from my backup server. All the other servers in those groups don't start.

Now for some reason this problem is only showing up on 4 sites... I have looked at the groups and clients but don't see the issue... Might just be overlooking the obvious...

Can anyone help??

What you are doing looks crazy. An active group is started by default every day at the same time. Consequently, you would backup the server more than one time over a day. This does not make sense, especially if you want to start the groups in the intervals you described.

Before you do anything else, please rethink your configuration.

What you are doing looks crazy. An active group is started by default every day at the same time. Consequently, you would backup the server more than one time over a day. This does not make sense, especially if you want to start the groups in the intervals you described.

Before you do anything else, please rethink your configuration.
Your a bit off there. There are 4 groups. They do not all backup everyday.
The schedules are setup to only do one backup per server per day.

Basically what happens is the group starts but none of the clients can backup because of the schedule. All except the bootstrap on the Backup server.

That's what i said - each group will be started every day. Just your schedule takes care that certain clients will be skipped.

As the client resource for the server is in each group, you simply back him up every time and you can only assign one schedule to a client. Once again - this looks weird.

That's what i said - each group will be started every day. Just your schedule takes care that certain clients will be skipped.

As the client resource for the server is in each group, you simply back him up every time and you can only assign one schedule to a client. Once again - this looks weird.
So how would you do it if you have to have 4 different retention policies per server?

Specifying 4 pools and using the new feature which can apply a retention policy to a certain pool.

Specifying 4 pools and using the new feature which can apply a retention policy to a certain pool.
I'll give it some thought.

Still doesn't explain why this setup works on some sites and not at others.

BTW, the groups do not start at the same times.

Back