Best way to clean up the Tivoli Database

mosiac

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
So as I've posted before I'm still new but I feel like I'm understanding a lot.

The previous admin, as one of his last tasks before retirement switched out our last LTO3 drive for LTO5 drives. He then disabled the tapeclass for LTO3 tapes and checked them all out of the library.
We can still read our LTO3 tapes because we have an couple LTO4 Drives.

What I"m wondering is though we've been eliminating the LTO3 tapes from our copy pool slowly but surely. I'm wondering though if Tivoli is deleting them from the data base since we're not checking them in. Or if there's a command we should run based off the tapes label to clear it's information out of the Tivoli Database so we don't have a lot of information clogging up the Database for tapes that we will be discarding.

Thanks,

If you are moving the data from LTO 3 to somewhere else and after the move, the LTO 3 tape shows empty - make sure these are really empty - TSM just drops them off. If these are tapes from the ONLINE tape pool, just check these out. TSM would not have any record of these.

If these are OFFSITE tapes, and the process you have done is 'move data' and you are using DRM, these tapes will show as VAULTRETRIEVE when empty. You can update the status to ONSITERETRIEVE BUT never check them in. TSM will not care and would not have any record as these are empty tapes.

TSM just keeps track of tapes that have data on it.

OK thanks. We're just sorta migrating the data as reclamation and incrementals occur. So they all become vault retrieve and then we just put them on a shelf never to be used until we can degauss and discard.

Back