Best Practice to retire server

darbronnoco

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for a best practice to follow to make sure my retired servers have their data expire per the retention policy. We have ran into an issue with space because when we have been retiring a server we end up forgetting to delete the "active" copy of the data. Is there a process so we can make sure all the data is inactive so that everything for that server expires per its policy?

Thanks,

The "active" version never expire.
Are you wanting to delete ALL the node data?

Good Luck,
Sias

I have a customer that created a new domain called "Decommissioned" that doesn't have any backup schedules and a 60 day retention (that's how long they want to keep decommissioned nodes). There are no schedules in that domain. So when they decommision a node, they change it to this domain. And they update the description of that domain with the date it can be permanently deleted. Once in a while, they query the nodes in that domain and manually delete the filespaces and the nodes if they are passed their grace period.

There's no automated process for this, but it would be nice. Might want to check if an RFE for this exists, if so vote for it, if not you could submit one.

Yeah I was looking for a way to let all the data on an retired node to fully expire automatically. Possibly by making all the versions inactive on the node somehow etc? I like the idea of the decommission group but we have so many different retentions and each of our servers typically have 3 nodes assigned to a single server.

Another method would be to rename the node and put a decom prefix. Example:
rename node NODE1 DECOM-NODE1 description="Delete on yyyy/mm/dd"

Then you can periodically query those nodes:
query node decom* f=d

Thanks for the idea marclant, I'll have to check with my coworker to see if that a possibility with our workflow and business needs. I'm still shocked that there isn't a native way to support this.

Back