Bare Metal Restore on an Linux Host using TSM 5.3

yanni73

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am struggling with a (bare metal) restore on a linux host with TSM V5.3.

I backed up the partition table and the boot sector of the linux system and would like to use a bootable linux distri ( like KNOPPIX ) to boot system, restore partition table / boot sector and then the files via dsmc of a NFS mounted TSM client.

In Version 5.2 it was possible to mount the path of another linux TSM client via NFS and start dsmc.

But now I have the problem with the TSM libraries. When I start dsmc from the mounted share I get the error:

error while loading shared libraries: libgpfs.so: cannot open shared object file: ERROR 40

Is there any experience for restoring a linux client from scratch?

Thanks, Jan

Hi,

we are using another machine for Linux BMR - as we usualy need time to scramble a new machine and so on, so in the meantime we restore the data on another machine disk (have a spare disk on TSM server - running linux - itself) and then we boot Knoppix on the new machine and copy the disk content via net (ssh <target> "tar pcf - <source>" | tar xvf - ) the local disk of the new machine.

Hope it helps

Harry

If anyone successfully creates a TSM Live CD by all means, please share :lol:

In the meantime, what worked for us was installing a new HD in to a linux box with a TSM client installed, partitioned like the original node, and mounted like [/mnt/sda1] + [/mnt/sda2]

Here's the procedure from my notes:

1. Boot a working system with a destination drive

2. Partition, ID, and format the drive to specification

Fdisk /dev/sdb

Mkfs –t ext3 /dev/sdb1

Mkfs –t ext3 /dev/sdb3

Mkswap /dev/sdb2

3. Label the partitions appropriately

E2label –L /dev/sdb1 /boot

E2label –L /dev/sdb3 /

E2label –L /dev/sdb2 /swap

4. Mount the 1 and 3 partitions

Mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

Mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/sdb3

5. Go in to “/opt/tab/tab/tab?/client/ba/bin”. Type:

Dsmc rest “/mnt/sda1/*” /mnt/sdb1/ -su=yes

Dsmc rest “/mnt/sda3/*” /mnt/sdb3/ -su=yes

6. Replace the new drive in to destined system. Using a Knoppix CD, restart and boot up the system.

7. In Knoppix, mount the hard drive to the mount points as Writable. Enter /mnt/sdb3/sbin and run “./grub”. At the Grub prompt:

Root (hd0,0)

Setup (hd0)

8. Restart the computer, remove the Knoppix disk, and enjoy

Back