Bakup failing after max retries

vinuvinod.87

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am facing one problem during the backups. The clients options file in the node tells the maximum retries should be 5. After this the backup fails. But my concern is I dont want the backup to get failed and I want the file which is busy to be backed up. I have two doubts.

1. How could we back this up without constantly retrying?
2. If not how could we tell TSM not to back it up?

Am new to TSM and qucik reply would be apprecaible.

Regards,
Vinu

The backup retries because the file is open/in use/locked by some other program/process. If you want it backed up without the retrying, make sure the file is in a state it can be backed up. How that takes place will vary depending on the type of file.

Thanks for the reply. But my concern is how could we tell TSM t constantly retry the backup of this file or else tell TSM not to back it up.

Check dsmerror.log on the client, located in the ...\tivoli\tsm\client\ directory. After looking at the log then make edits to your dsm.opt/dsm.sys file(s). Add excludes as needed.

This happen when the file is modified while beeing saved.

You can't tell TSM to retry forever. The risk would be to important to have a file constantly modified (ie a database never stopped) and the backup never ending.

You can tell TSM to save it anyway at the last try but as it is beeing modified while you save it, it won't be consistent.

There are some ways to get rid of such problems :
- If it is a database file and a TDP is available for this database, you can use it,
- You can stop the application modifying the file before the backup and restart it after (preschedulecommand and postschedulecommand)
- Depending on the OS, you can use the open file manager mechanism in TSM client
- For a database, you can also exclude the database file, export the database to a file and save this file

All this depends on the reason why your file is locked or modified.

Back