• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Bad candidatesPool File Entry

tcarroll

ADSM.ORG Member
We have a bad entry in one of our candidates pool files. Does anyone know the best/safest way to remove the entry?

We have fixed the file and directory that caused the bad entry, but HSM is not self repairing and the dsmerror.log file filles the filesystem in about 6 minutes.

Skipping invalid line found in candidate file /etc/adsm/SpaceMan/candidatesPool/APool.xxx.xxx

Thanks,

Tom

PJ

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
I'm sure we had that very same problem - but I can't find any record about it in our support DB. I think what we had to do was to empty the pool (copy /dev/null over it) - but I'm not sure. So unless you've got nothing to loose anyway, you might want to call suport for this.

Cheers

PJ

tcarroll

ADSM.ORG Member
Thanks PJ,

I don't think we need to go to that extreme since I can see the line that is bad. But, the PMR has been open with Tivoli for over 24 hours with no answer to the question and I was hoping someone else had seen this.

If IBM doesn't get back to me in a couple more hours, I'm probably going to try deleting the entry and see what happens.

PJ

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Theoretically the scoutdaemon should just start refilling the pools. Getting support for something like this at this time of day might be difficult. HSM development is here in Germany, and its friday night, 9:40 PM. My experience with HSM so far is, that the usual 1st and 2nd level support lines know little to nothing about the product. Too exotic ;)

Cheers

PJ

tcarroll

ADSM.ORG Member
Just to wrap this topic up.

What we did was:

1) dsmq #Check for any recall requests

2) dsmmigfs deactivate /filesystem/in/question

3) kill -15 on any running automigrate processes for the specific filesystem.

4) kill -15 on the dsmscoutd process.

5) remove offending entries from the candidates pool file.

6) restart dsmscoutd.

7) dsmmigfs reactivate /filesystem/in/question.

About 5 minute down time for filesystem migrates and recalls.

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 4 10.0%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gawinski1