Backup up multiple instances with TDP SQL 6.3

DanneFr

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know this has been answered before but with the new 6.3 I'm wondering if there are any new instructions or "best practices" to backup an sql server with more than one instance.

With 5.5 we are using different tdpsql.cfg for each instance and one node (one dsm.opt) for all instances.
tdpsql_instanceA.cfg
SQLSERVER DBSRV\InstanceA
FROMSQLSERVER DBSRV\InstanceA

tdpsql_instanceB.cfg
SQLSERVER DBSRV\InstanceB
FROMSQLSERVER DBSRV\InstanceB

and then we have a scheduler that executes sqlfull.cmd
%sql_dir%\tdpsqlc backup * full /tsmoptfile=%sql_dir%\dsm.opt /logfile=%sql_dir%\sqlfull_instanceA.log >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log /configfile=%sql_dir%\tdpsql_InstanceA.cfg
%sql_dir%\tdpsqlc backup * full /tsmoptfile=%sql_dir%\dsm.opt /logfile=%sql_dir%\sqlfull_InstanceB.log >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log /configfile=%sql_dir%\tdpsql_InstanceB.cfg

How are you doing it? Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Dan

Did you ever get an answer to this? I would like to know how to do this. Esp. with the flashcopymanager gui.

There should be no difference.

However, I question the logic of using multiple instance configuration files for each instance and the use of multiple commands, again, for each instance.

We just use one command for all instance with one configuration.

Ed, I do the same as DanneFr. (not using 6.3 but your post intrigued me to reply) It's very tedious to setup but lets us have each instance as an individual node and create some separation of data.

/SQLSERV=%sql_server%\%sql_instance%

I didn't realize that parameter was optional, or my first setup was multiple instances and I've continued the same command structure ever since then and never looked back. Learn something new everyday.

Back