Backup set & TDP

Lisatech

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if I am not understanding posts that I looked up regarding backupsets and TDP. I want to get a point in time backup set from a server that has only the TDP client installed. This is only to have a copy of the files as of that date... Will running the backup set provide a file level copy of the NSF file at that point in time (which is after the daily TDP incr is run) or will it only provide the copy of the file from when the weekly selective is run?

I will not need to restore any files to a TDP state but merely a copy of the files that was available at the time.

Thanks

Not sure what you really want but you cannot create backup sets without installing the BA client.

TDP for Mail (Domino) just backs up the NSF files.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but you can't normally use backupsets for TDPs. I believe you can create a backupset for a tdp client, but you cannot restore or access it so its pointless.

:) When I reread my post, I am not surprised that it seemed a bit cryptic...

We have successful backups on servers, have 3 Notes servers with TDP - of those 3, two run both the BA client (weekly) and the TDP client (daily incr, weekly selec & 3xdaily trans logs), the other has only the TDP client but it is clustered with another server that runs the BA client for file level backups weekly.

I have had a request to produce tapes to go offsite for those 3 servers for a specific PIT. I haven't been at the TSM thing for very long so my first stab was the creation of a backup set but then I found that it will only provide when the last file level incremental was done so I can't get the PIT that is requested as TDP can't recover from a backup set. So my second stab is to do an export of the nodes both the file level and TDP.

After posting yesterday and finding out a bit more... my plan is that if they have to recover these databases at that time, will be to import the node into a new, 2nd instance of TSM and restore to another location. I will still need a server with the TDP client in order to do the restore/activate process.

Does this sound reasonable? Is there a way to see what is on these exported tapes to verify what I think I have captured?

Thanks again...

Exports will work. You can test them to very you've got what you wanted.

Although I have to wonder, why not create another policy domain and stgpool for these 3 critical nodes, and use a copypool for the special primary pool? Saves all the messing around with exports and 2nd servers.

BBB, Thanks for your reply... I may have a misunderstanding of how the TDP client works then... From what I understand, the TDP client only takes an incremental backup of the nsf if the DB id has changed so I would expect TSM to only have a copy of the nsf as of either the last db id change or when the weekly selective runs. So that indicated to me that if I do a backup set (even though TDP can't use it) it will not have a copy of the nsf exactly as it is on the server as of the PIT....

If I am missing something I would greatly appreciate knowing what it is that is different than my understanding... :)

Back