Backup Oracle NO TDP NO RMAN

slapin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am doing support on backup scripts done to backup Oracle databases 9.2 / 10.2 on AIX 5.1/5.2/5.3.
Those are home made scripts done a long time ago. They are not using TDP nor RMAN.
They put one tablespace in backup mode and then ask tsm to archive the datafiles and then put backup the tbs in normal mode and go on with other tablespaces.

It seems to work on most of the cases for years but right now on the production system I am supporting, TSM retry a couple of times to get the files but fails. The dbf have changed even if they were in backup mode.
PS: copygroup is set to shrdynamic

I have reproduced this case on a testbed. Tsm cannot get the files even if the tbs is in backup mode (I am doing insert on the tbs meanwhile). I do not know how to solve this issue. I am not even sure that this is a TSM problem because the checksum of the dbf are changing so I beleive TSM is right.

I have seen on the web that the shrstatic/shdynamics can help. But I do not know which one to use. It is shdynamics on the production site and I have reproduced the problem with shrstatic on my testbed.

Some help will be apreciated.

TSM version 5.2 (reproduced with TSM 5.5)

F

Short answer: the setup you have right now WILL NOT backup the database effectively even with shrstatic/shdynamic turned ON.

Either you use 1) TDP and RMAN, 2) dump the database and backup the dump files, or 3) stop Oracle and backup the DBF and LOG files and start afterward.

Thanks for the very much for your answer. Does anybody else have the same problem?

It is not very risky. I am surprised by the fact i should never work.
If you have a look in the Oracle documentation you have a simple way to backup online a database putting the tablespaces in backup mode and use cp or rcp to backup the datafile and put back the tablespaces in normal mode.

We are just not using cp or rcp but something like
tsm a datafile1.dbf

So make a short answer, yes we have restored already the database but it was some years ago. We are making the backups on other contracts the same way and it works perfectly.

Back