Backup of Server 2008

rtiebout

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
When using TSM to backup a windows 2008 server system the missed file report always shows the \boot\BCD and \boot\BCD.LOG files as being missed. Can we exclude these files safely and still be able to do full system restore? Are there also other files in server 2008 that can safely be skipped?

The files are missed and the dsmerror.log file shows them as being in use by another process. Thats why i figured they can be safely excluded. is that the case?

Hi!
Personally, I wouldn't risk excluding these files.
Try doing test restore without these. If everything'll turn out to be fine. Go ahead and exclude them. Else, try open file support.

Its not a problem keeping them included in the backups. I figured that they could be excluded since they aren't being backed up now anyway because they're always in use.

What i meant was backup integrity/usability. Will Server 2008 start without these on a full disaster recovery scenario?

Thats a good question, i'll have to do some testing on this end with regards to restoring these windows 2008 servers.
Has anyone else done a restore of a 2008 server with or without these files?

Did anyone try to test this? Could BCD be excluded or what would the approach be?

Back