Backup fails with VMware vStorage API error

terlisimo

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
10/01/2011 23:28:31 ANS9365E VMware vStorage API error.
TSM function name : vddksdkOpen
TSM file : vmvddksdk.cpp (1311)
API return code : 16064
API error message : Host is not licensed for this feature
10/01/2011 23:28:31 ANS4151E Failure mounting Virtual Machine 'VMNAME'. RC=-1

DSM.OPT contains:
VMBACKUPTYPE FULLVM
VMFULLTYPE VSTOR

I can see the TSM VM snapshot is created but after that the backup immediately fails with the above error.

VMware is version 4.1, TSM client is 6.2.3, vCenter OS is Win 2008 Server SP2 (not R2).

I'm running BA client on the vCenter machine itself, which is also a virtual machine in the same HA DRS cluster.

I don't think it's a licensing issue, we have VMware Enterprise Plus and TSM Extended Edition.

The backup was working fine until one day i interrupted a halfway-done backup and I've been getting this error ever since.

Backup runs fine if I run it from a remote machine that is not a VM so I have a workaround but I'd like to get this working.

What I tried and didn't work:

- setting VMVSTORTRANSPORT to NBD, NBDSSL, and HOTADD
- rebooting target VM
- rebooting vCenter
- moving target VM to another ESX host
- moving vCenter to another host
- resetting Changed Block Tracking for target VM
- accessing vCenter host as 127.0.0.1, by its IP address and then by hostname (which resolves to ::1)

Has the TDP for VE client been installed?

Remember you need the BA plus the TDP to do VM guest backup.

No, I only installed BA with VMware backup tools option selected.

You don't need TDP4VE to do full vm backups, it is only required if you wish to do incremental block-level backups of VMDK files (which I don't).

OK, you are not doing anything other than FULL VM backups. Try patching to 6.2.3.3. There were bugs reports on earlier BA client versions

i have problem when restore whit same message

Back