1. Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.
    If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.
  2. Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)
    Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Backup data on production lan

Discussion in 'Networking' started by adsm04, Mar 9, 2009.

1. adsm04

adsm04 ADSM.ORG Member

Backup Administrator
    Hi We have around 40 nodes with single production NIC each and there is no additional backup NIC, these are legacy systems and cant add backup nics for backup purpose. I want to backup these systems on a new TSM server which is running on aix cluster. TSM Server has 3 ips,
    a)production ip - 10.199.80.X
    b)backup ip - 10.199.90.X
    c)cluster ip shared by 2 nodes - 10.199.80.X
    now the question is, which server ip address to use on client side? i cant use the production ip since it might fail over to other node any moment. So my only option is use the cluster ip. Is this the right approach or any better solution to route backup traffic from production ip on client to production ip on server?

3. moon-buddy

moon-buddy ADSM.ORG Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    In a cluster mode you have no other choice but use the common cluster IP as this is what carries the cluster in failover scenarios.