Backup Copy Group Settings

Linda

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Versions Data Deleted states that the number of backup versions to retain is controlled by this parameter until versions exceed the retention time specified by the Retain Extra Versions or Retain Only Version parameter. Since it states "or"....which one does it use? Also, at what point does it start counting down the 180 or 380 days?

Here are my settings:

Version Data Exists = 4

Version Data Deleted = 2

Retain Extra Versions=380

Retain Only Versions=180

Here is my interpretation, but Please correct me if this is wrong:

File Exists

Active 1

Inactive 2 (for 380 days from when it became inactive)

Inactive 3 (for 380 days from when it became inactive)

Inactive 4 (for 380 days from when it became inactive)

File has been Deleted

Inactive 1 (for 380 days from when it became an inactive version, which would be prior to the date of deletion)

Inactive 2 (for 180 days from when it became an only version, even if the 380 days of being an inactive version has elapsed)

Thanks,

Linda

Linda, My understanding, based on your definitions, is that TSM will keep 4 versions, 1 active and 3 inactive. Once the 5th version or generation comes along, the 1st one gets deleted. The only time the 380 day rule comes into play is if the 1st version has not been expired by the creation of the 5th (the 5th was never created). In other words, if the first 4 became static TSM would keep them for 380 days and then trash them. I got caught on this one too! Regards, Sara

I spoke with IBM Technical Support and they stated that a file is considered to be an "Only" file when it is deleted from the Server. Regardless of how many "Inactive" versions you may be keeping.

Any advice or input on this subject would be appreciated.

File Exists

Active 1

Inactive 2 (for 380 days from when it became inactive)

Inactive 3 (for 380 days from when it became inactive)

Inactive 4 (for 380 days from when it became inactive)

File has been Deleted (as soon as the original is deleted it is considered to be an only file)

Inactive 1 (for 380 days from when it became an inactive version, which would be prior to the date of deletion)

Inactive 2 (for 180 days from when it became an only version)

From the TSM Reference Guide.

VERDeleted

Specifies the maximum number of backup versions to retain for files that have been deleted from the client file system after being backed up using Tivoli Storage Manager. This parameter is optional. The default value is 1.

If a user deletes a file from the client file system, the next backup causes the server to expire the oldest versions of the file in excess of this number. The expiration date for the remaining versions is determined by the retention time specified by the RETEXTRA or RETONLY parameter.

The reason why the default is one.

When the file is delete from the work station, the active version now becomes

the active version and 180 days from this point the file will expire (deleted) from the

TSM server.

Sias

Back