Backing Up Sensitive Information

Angelo

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello all,

I am a relatively new user of TSM. I am setting up a backup solution for my organization on a Sun server running Solaris 9 and TSM 5.1 (6.2). One of my managers has asked if we'll be able to protect sensitive data, but I have no idea how to configure this. I assume that TSM has the capability to perform data encryption. He wants to be assured that the data (personnel records, salary,etc.)that he sends from his PC(Win 2000)to the backup unit will be inaccessible to me or anyone else. Is there some way that we can encrypt his data, so that only he can access it? If so, can you please tell me how to set this up?

Thank you,

Angelo

Angelo,

Unfortunately the answer to this question is NO. TSM does not allow a fullyprivileged system administrator to be "restricted" from node data that is backed up. As a TSM administrator, you have "the keys to the kingdom" , not having access to that data would actually be more of a liability, than letting you have the access, since you may encounter situations where you have to troubleshoot a restore (for whatever reasons)

Your manager does have other recourse however, he can go out and purchase 3rd party encryption software, that automatically encrypts the data he is concerned about, and then simply let TSM backup THAT data. You could still pull that encrypted data, but without the proper key, it would be useless.

Cheers!

Brandon

Back