Backing up an Enterprise Vault SQL server...having issues

theconqueror

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I've been having some issues with our Symantec Enterprise Vault server backing up. It keeps telling me that the Prescheduled command is failing.

I followed Symantec's doc (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284361.htm) but since our two servers are seperate I need to have the SQL server shut down services on the Vault server and I tried to do this using ps*e*xec. This is what the preschedule command for the SQL server is (I added the === to make it easier on the eyes)

=====================================================
p***ec \\vault01 net stop /y "Enterprise Vault Task Controller Service"
p***ec \\vault01 net stop /y "Enterprise Vault Storage Service"
p***ec \\vault01 net stop /y "Enterprise Vault Indexing Service"
p***ec \\vault01 net stop /y "Enterprise Vault Shopping Service"
p***ec \\vault01 regedit /s c:\readonly.reg
p***ec \\vault01 net start "Enterprise Vault Storage Service"
p***ec \\vault01 net start "Enterprise Vault Indexing Service"
p***ec \\vault01 net start "Enterprise Vault Shopping Service"
p***ec \\vault01 net start "Enterprise Vault Task Controller Service"

When I run this myself it goes off without a hitch, although when the backup client runs it, it fails. I'm assuming this is a permissions issue because p***ec inherits the permissions of the account that runs it. So my questions is....

Is there anyway to specifiy the account that runs the pre and postschedule commands in 5.3.4 version of the Windows client?

Last edited:
Ok, I think I fixed it. If you go to the GUI's Setup Wizard for the TSM Client Scheduler it allows you to enter an account name to run the service as. I'll have to wait and see how it works tomorrow

EV backup

ugh...still failing. Does anyone have any ideas?
Hopefully this helps someone:

1. We are using the power shell script to switch EV server to and from backup mode.

2. The server backup is scheduled via TSM Server.

3. Add to dsm.opt a pre command line (put server in backup mode) and post commands (take server out of backup mode)

4. TSM Scheduler service log-in value is changed to EVault service account (has admin permissions on the EV server)
Our Enterprise Vault Server uses a NetApp volume to store the archived data. We launch as part of the post command the NDMP backup.
Schtasks /run /s tsmpri /TN NDMPEVBackup
Where NDMPEVBackup is the scheduled task located on our primary TSM server TSMPRI. In order for this command to work the evault service account needs to be given permission to the TSM server. We chose admin rights – but you can decide how granular you want to be.
The scheduled task executes a batch file. Since NDMP doesn’t mark the backed up files as archived (EV requirement) we need to add a few lines to the batch file that change the archive bit:
dsmadmc.exe -id=admin -passw=adminpw backup node netapp /vol/EnterpriseVault1_vol toc=preferred mode=full w=y
net use x: \\netapp\EnterpriseVault1_vol$
x:
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%d IN ('DIR "*.dvs" /S /B') DO attrib -a %%d
c:
net use x: /delete
Now I need to work with the SQL guru to find a way to launch the SQL backups. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ion

Back