back up network share with tsm?

JarapanthiM

Newcomer
Reaction score
Greetings all

I am having trouble with backing up a network share with Tivoli. I have the drive mounted as "M" on windows server and changed tsm opt file to back up network drive M.

As suggested in tivoli documentation, I run the application with elevated user privilege. But this does not seem to work and the network share is skipped over. I verify that I can see the network share by issuing the "net use" command from the command prompt and running as admin.

Have I missed something?

Many thanks and regards.

Forget the drive letter and use the UNC name. That's because drive letter mounts are not reliable, but the network share name will always be available, as long as the host is up and running.

Add the following line in dsm.opt:
domain \\machine_name\share_name

And make sure that the TSM Schedule Service is set to login with an account that has access to the share.

hello and thank you for reply.
added that line to my opt file, many thanks and looks good.
I am signed in under the builtin admin account on the computer. Then I mapped shared drive and I used my credential with access to the share to do so.
I added my same credential to TSM client scheduler service. So properties, log on as my.username and my password. same credential used to map the drive.
but, backup fails with error, "access to the object is denied"
not sure what else to check?
thank you

Can you run the backup when using "'skipntpermissions yes'" in dsm.opt?

but, backup fails with error, "access to the object is denied"
Does it do that when accessing the share or when attempting to backup a file?

Does your user account have backup/restore permission on the files in the share in question?

As a test, click start -> run, type: \\remote-machine\share and click ok
Create a directory called Test and inside the directory create a file

Open the TSM GUI
Click on Backup
Expand Network and \\remote-machine\share
Expand Test and select the file you created
And try to backup up just this file.

If this succeeds, it means your ID can backup the files you own, but not other people's file. You will need to give yourself permissions to all the files in that share in order to be able to back them up.

More info on permissions: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.4/client/c_start_consider.html

Back