B/A Client on VMWare

MTM

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the TSM client on a virtual machine. If so, how did it go? Did you also put the client on VMWare also?

I read a field guide that recommend putting the client on both, the VMWare, and the Guest OS.

Let me know your results, and any issues you had or are having.

Just looking to gain some insight..

Michael

Yes, we back up all of our VM's as if they were regular nodes.

Some warning though, if you have win2k3 nodes then you will want to install either the newest 5.2 client or the 5.3 client. Otherwise you will get allot of VSS errors on your VM's. I personaly use the 5.3 client and have not had any issues since upgrading.

I concur with blagrange on all points. Also, it is recommended by many that you not back up VMWare itself, but if you must, there's really no such thing as an incremental backup with it. With the special things to consider of the .dsk files and redo logs, well, it's a mess.

:rolleyes:

We have installed the TSM client on VMWARE ESX 2.5 and we are able to backup live VM's on the fly with TSM and VMWare. We have the b/a client on the Windows boxes and the Linux client on the VMLinux server. With TSM we are able to take full snapshots and commit the redo logs on live production servers to a remote TSM server.

From that point we do a restore to another VMware server and the VM's are in a hotspare mode in case of a disaster.

This is to tsmadm27. Do you have any documentation on your backup process with the VMware ESX 2.5 servers? Or can you point me in the right direction for some good documentation. We have just installed ESX 2.5 in our environment. Thanks

[email protected]

I too would be interested on any information you have with this. I know that in Version 3 of esx server it will be easier to do with VM facilities. You are using Volume snapshot backups?

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>We have installed the TSM client on VMWARE ESX 2.5 and we are able to backup live VM's on the fly with TSM and VMWare. We have the b/a client on the Windows boxes and the Linux client on the VMLinux server. With TSM we are able to take full snapshots and commit the redo logs on live production servers to a remote TSM server.

From that point we do a restore to another VMware server and the VM's are in a hotspare mode in case of a disaster. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Back