Automating the Storage Agent Startup in SUSE Linux

smellycat

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to add dsmsta in startup so that it autostart each time the server is rebooted. I am able to start the dsmsta service manually on a Suse Linux server.

To automate i have followed the instructions in the guide book:

1. Log in to the system as user root
2. Copy the file dsmsta.rc from the directory where the storage agent is installed to /etc/init.d:, for example: cp /opt/tivoli/tsm/StorageAgent/bin/dsmsta.rc /etc/init.d
3. Check to ensure that the file has execute permission, for example: chmod 755 /etc/init.d/dsmsta.rc
4. Create a link to /etc/init.d/dsmsta.rc called dsmsta.rc in /etc/rc.d/rcx.d, where x is the run level.

Still its not running automatically. Is there any logs which i can check to troubleshoot the issue ?

Thanks

-------------------
TSM BA Client 5.5
TSM Storage Agent 5.5
SUSE 10 Enterprse Server

Hi,

have you specified correct runlevel? (issue "who -r" to check what runlevel you are running)
Have you tried using chkconfig to do the link for you? (IMHO all *.rc from TSM are chkconfig ready ...)
Can you see it attempts to start during boot? Or it is not touched at all (I would put some "echo whatever > /log.txt" at the beginning of the script to prove it)?

etc .. :)

Harry

hi Harry,

Thanks for your reply. i have tried the things that you have suggested.

1) Who -r give current level as 5
2) chkconfig shows the dmsta.rc as 'on' but actually dsmsta is does not run. Manually restarting this service works fine and dsmsta is loaded properly.
3)adding echo in the script appends the echoed text to the mentioned logfile. so the dsmsta.rc is getting excecuted.

Hi,

what about redirecting all outputs of dsmsta to specific file? (in the script)
There should be dsmsta error log in the StorageAgent directory ....
Another possibility is the startup sequence of the file - when does it start? (what its chkconfig priority - I would let it start as the latest service) - maybe dependency problem.

Harry

Resolved...:)

Hi,

At last i got a way out....i added the following entry in the /etc/inittab

sta::eek:nce:/opt/tivoli/tsm/StorageAgent/bin/dsmsta.rc start >/dev/null 2>&1

thanks harry for all your help....at last it got resolved. :)

:O should understood as : followed by o with no space.

The complete entry is

sta::eek:nce:/opt/tivoli/tsm/StorageAgent/bin/dsmsta.rc start >/dev/null 2>&1

Back