Automatic creation of disk volumes? .BFS files

TheGasGranny

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello,

TSM 6.1.1.3
SLES10 SP2

We have manually created a load of disk volumes which are quite nicely being filled via the migration task in our maintenance job.

However, each day when I check the usage of the volumes, I find some newly created 00000xxx.BFS volumes with data in them (???)

If I move the data out of them to other volumes in the same pool, the .BFS files disappear. (???)

Can anyone explain what's going on?

Cheers.

TGG.

>q stg

Storage Device Estimated Pct Pct High Low Next Stora-
Pool Name Class Name Capacity Util Migr Mig Mig ge Pool
Pct Pct
----------- ---------- ---------- ----- ----- ---- --- -----------
DR_POOL FILE_CLASS 500.0 M 6.1 6.1 90 70
LDP_FF DISK 1,948 G 2.2 2.2 95 75 PRI_KLAATU
LTP_FF L02_CLASS 1,359,807 0.7 1.8 90 70

PRI_KLAATU PRI_KLAATU 18,896 G 71.0 71.0 90 70
RTC_FF L01_CLASS 1,523,429 1.0

The .BFS volumes are appearing in the PRI_KLAATU disk pool.

Cheers.

TGG.

FYI: wrap the text inside a pair of code tags to format it in monospace...

Sounds like your KLAATU (hehe) pool is creating scratch FILE volumes on demand, possibly because all the volumes you defined to the pool (if any) are not in an empty/filling state.

Thank for that Tony. I've just looked though and we have plenty of volumes in a filling state, all of which are read/write, and not in an error state. It's only recently started doing this, and has also started doing it on our other server (GORT).

We do the same thing you do but we are on 5.5.4. We never see TSM creating BFS files as long as there is online scratch or filling volumes available.

What is your maxscratch set to? Why not fill up the entire file system with predefined volumes?

Our MaxScrtach is set to 99. We'd like to find out why it's doing it, so that we can stop it without just filling the file space up. Some of the BFS volumes it creates are only a matter of a few MB's

What is the collocation setting for that pool? If it is set to GROUP and no groups defined you will get one volume for each node.

Back